Knowing what to write about is an every day challenge for most ‘bloggers. Not being psychic, we can’t know for sure what out audience wants — or can we?
Feed your subscribers — serving up the right content
I’ve set my FeedBurner account up so that my del.icio.us bookmarks are part of my feed. It’s a standard feature of FeedBurner:
- Sign into to your FeedBurner account and click on the feed title.
- Click on the “Optimize” tab at the top.
- Click on “Link Splicer” menu item down the left.
- Select “del.icio.us” from the “Link service” options.
- Enter your account username.
- Click the “Save” button.
From now on, you’ll see your del.icio.us bookmarks appear in your feed along side your own articles.
Now, here’s where it gets really interesting — after a while, you’ll notice that your subscribers will read certain articles more than others.
That is your cue. Still within FeedBurner:
- Click on the “Analyze” tab at the top.
- Click on the “Item Use” menu item down the left.
- To the middle of the page, take note of the number of Views and Clicks for the articles under Item Popularity.
- Take those top articles as themes and write around them.
Your subscribers are worth their weight in gold, so you must treat them with care. They are your super advocates, and by appealing to their tastes in a very specific way, you’re giving them more of the stuff they like.
However, this isn’t me telling you to abandon the topics that interest you. Oh no, or why else would you have subscribers in the first place?
Here’s me suggesting you make use of an invaluable resource, maybe helping you keep your subscribers sweet with a del.icio.us feed…