Technology Trends & Opinion » Blah, Blah! Technology blog

Where the tech' views are 667% more interesting than the tech' news itself…

My personal web pages and profiles

The Beginner's Guide to Social Media ebook button

Tag Cloud

A graphic with the words: 'Subscribe to Blah, Blah! Technology'

social networking

Twitter button FriendFeed button Facebook button

« »

WordPress Plugin: Socialize Me!

Tuesday, 22 January 2008 — by

an image of the Socialize Me! logo, a Plugin for WordPress

Socialize Me! now works with WordPress 2.7.x and 2.8.x.

Socializing your ‘blog

Converting the traffic to your ‘blog is only part of the challenge. Other than your ‘blog feed, how else do you connect with those visitors?

Simply hoping that they’ll click on one or maybe two of your social profiles is more haphazard than hopeful.

Imagine one of your articles has been submitted to StumbleUpon. You’re getting a steady stream of visitors to your ‘blog. You could really connect with some of these guys — if you knew who they were.

Well here’s the thing, with Socialize Me! those visitors to your ‘blog will see a simple message when they arrive: “Hi, thanks for the visit! Wayne’s on StumbleUpon, too!” with a link to your profile.

All you do is add in your profiles and usernames and let my Socialize Me! Plugin do the rest. It’s that simple.

For a working demonstration pay a visit to the Review on StumbleUpon for this article and then click the title link back to this ‘blog.

Installing & Configuring the Socialize Me! Plugin for WordPress

Requirements: a hosted version of WordPress 2.3 or above and FTP access.

Installation: if you’re a seasoned ‘blogger, then the installation is very easy — just download the Socialize Me! Plugin, uncompress the file (if your system doesn’t do that for you) and upload the file into the Plugins folder on your server.

For those who’re new or less familiar with WordPress, a Plugin installation guide for WordPress might be what you’re looking for.

Configuration:

1. Pay a visit to your WordPress account and sign-in to your Dashboard.
  2. Click on the Options tab.
  3. Click on the “Socialize Me!” tab on the sub-menu.
  4. Enter your usernames, IDs and profiles into the relevant fields.
  5. Add the code into your “single.php” page (see figure 1, or click here for the code) — you’re free to place the code where you like!

an image of some code for the Socialize Me! WordPress Plugin

Figure 1 — code sample placed below the page header.

I’ve added a supporting CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) to allow you to customize the Plugin however you see fit.

Known Issues: there’s an issue with the chevron background images not showing up in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 & 7, which is being investigated.

Support

If you have any questions about this Plugin, you can post your comments on the Socialize Me! Discussion Board over on the official ‘blog Facebook Page.

Future developments

1. Support for multi-author ‘blogs.
  2. A flexible set of options for styling and positioning the reminder object.
  3. Convert the code from procedural to Object-Oriented PHP.
  4. Possible support for direct messaging to certain services (such as Facebook or StumbleUpon, for example).
  5. Support for more services, as they become more popular, or are suggested by you!

A plea from the author

I really hope you find this Plugin useful. I also hope it spurs those of you with the requisite PHP skills to maybe take things a step further.

What would be really appreciated is if we could share the efforts and try to make Socialize Me! a really good Plugin for everyone to enjoy.

So with that in mind, with the spirit of Open Source in mind, all I ask is that if you do something novel with the Plugin, let me know and we can all then benefit from your ideas.

Then everyone who chooses to contribute gets the mention they deserve and we don’t confuse everyone with competing versions of the same Plugin.

Copyright 1999-2008 Wayne Smallman, Octane Interactive Limited. Socialize Me! is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

An image with the words: 'Subscribe to Blah, Blah! Technology'

« »

Regulars

Comment and be known

David Bradley → Tuesday, 22 January 2008 @ 15:07 BDT

Congratulations on the new plugin Wayne! I’ve Stumbled the page and written a short review on Sciencetext.com

Good luck with it

db

Socialize This! » Chemistry → Tuesday, 22 January 2008 @ 15:30 BDT

[...] connect with your visitors at a more personal level then try this classy new WordPress Plugin from tech writer Wayne Smallman. I’m not sure I can claim to have inspired this plugin in any shape or form, but he and I [...]

Nick James → Tuesday, 22 January 2008 @ 18:29 BDT

This is a great idea Wayne. Nice plugin. I think I’ll definitely be giving it a try once I’ve got my new blog up and running.

Tanner Hobin → Tuesday, 22 January 2008 @ 18:43 BDT

Sweet plugin! Thanks for developing it.

Wayne Smallman → Tuesday, 22 January 2008 @ 18:54 BDT

Nick — glad you like! Always happy to help, you know that.

Tanner — I’m glad you like, too!

Guys, any questions at all, you know where to find me…

VIkram → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 2:55 BDT

Superb idea Wayne! This would help one to expand their social circle and get to know more like minded people!

I had thought about something on these lines just for SU, but I dont have much knowledge about php so couldnt do much. But, you just hit the nail in the head!

Wonderful plugin, cant say enough! :)

Jenny → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 4:41 BDT

Awesome plugin! Thanks so much for this. I will add it to a few of my wordpress blogs now.

Fat Kid Unleashed → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 4:47 BDT

I like it, so many sites to choose from and a great way to network with visitors. Thanks for the plugin, Wayne!

Matt Huggins → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 4:57 BDT

Tried going to StumbleUpon and clicking your article title link, but it didn’t seem to work.

Trevor → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 5:09 BDT

No offense, but putting an apostrophe before “blog” is really unnecessary.

PK → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 5:39 BDT

Good morning!

Great idea – but please repack the archive – noone really dont want to know you are working on MacOS =) Thanks!

Ink and Coffee → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 5:58 BDT

Socialize Me! WordPress Plugin connects you to your readers…

The Socialize Me! WordPress plugin aims to connect you and your readers together over various social platforms. This may be a good idea for some, but I’m in the camp where I don’t usually add strangers to my friends list.
……

Max at Houston Lawyers Direct → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 6:19 BDT

Great post and congrats on making the first page of Digg!

Jeff → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 7:09 BDT

I must be stupid because I’ve installed a lot of plugins in my day and I can’t get it to do anything. It’s activated and several profile names are configured under Options. Viewing the resulting page source shows nothing of interest.

Ronald Lewis → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 7:09 BDT

Great plugin! I’ll be adding this to my blog. Thanks!

Dave Davis → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 8:04 BDT

Fantastic little plugin although it took me ages to fins the message it was so small :) Nothing a small hack wont fix.

Thanks a million mate!

Dekut.com → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 9:14 BDT

WordPress Plugin: Socialize Me!…

Making the most of Social Media & Social Networking is the goal of just about every ‘blogger. Imagine if you could reach out to all those visitors from StumbleUpon, Digg, Delicious et cetera, right from your articles……

Fatgadget → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 13:20 BDT

Hi Wayne

Awesome plugin, I will give it a go later :)

Support this story on Stirrdup → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 14:58 BDT

WordPress Plugin: Socialize Me!…

This story has been submitted to Stirrdup. Your support can help it become hot….

XIII → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:09 BDT

Nice idea, thanks for the plugin.

atropos → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:13 BDT

Great Idea Wayne, but I yet to see it materialize on my blog:(

It’s not really working, I installed like I usually do with other plugins….and then added that code to the end of “Single Post” file…didn’t find single.php…am I doing it right??

MusHi → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:15 BDT

Nothing happens!! I’ve post the same thing on Facebook..

Cj B → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:41 BDT

I’d really like to try out this plugin, but could you post it to the official wordpress plugin repo on WordPress.org?

Thanks!

Wayne Smallman → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:47 BDT

Guys, thanks to all of you for taking the time out to try my Plugin!

For those having problems, I’ve contacted some directly, while for the others, could you please post your comments on the Socialize Me! Discussion Board.

CJB — I submitted the Plugin this time yesterday. As of writing this comment, I’ve had no reply from WordPress. But I understand what you’re saying…

Cj B → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 16:48 BDT

Great, thanks I’ll keep an eye out over there for it! My plugins have usually been pretty slow to get approved, a couple weeks in some cases!

bloggingzoom.com → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 19:09 BDT

WordPress Plugin: Socialize Me!…

Imagine if you could complete the social media/networking circle by identifying and connecting with everyone that reaches your blog via a social website on that same network? A new Plug-in gives social traffic a call to action conversion every time…

Amit → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 20:15 BDT

This is a nice plugin, installing it on my blog now.

Kyle → Wednesday, 23 January 2008 @ 20:34 BDT

That is a very nice little plug-in and great way to engage your visitors! Really cool!

Jermayn Parker → Thursday, 24 January 2008 @ 0:16 BDT

Will definitely look at using this plugin for a new site im producing at the moment!

Thanks :)

The Naked SEO Guide from Netpaths → Thursday, 24 January 2008 @ 5:42 BDT

Socialize Me Social Media Connector…

Blah Blah tech has created a great wordpress plugin that lets you connect with users of other social networks. Most online marketers are members of multiple online content sharing networks and tend to read a lot of SEO blogs. Using the Socialize Me plu…

Ryan → Thursday, 24 January 2008 @ 6:03 BDT

Great plugin! I might suggest one cosmetic change ..

Hi user, thanks for the visit!

When echoing the message to the social media visitor it is a little more specific. /dunno

Ryan → Thursday, 24 January 2008 @ 6:07 BDT

Hmm well your code tag isn’t working but if you place “echo $value['tag'];” between the ‘hi’ and the ‘user’ it might read a little better

Wayne Smallman → Thursday, 24 January 2008 @ 9:38 BDT

Hi Ryan — I’m not quite sure what you mean, but I’m assuming you mean I echo out the name of the visitor. Thing is, there’s no way for me to know that.

Also, the code for the name part is working fine. That’s not an issue anyone else has reported.

You’ll need to explain to me what it is that you’re trying to do.

Speak soon…

Ryan → Friday, 25 January 2008 @ 1:56 BDT

I meant your code tag for comments here.

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 25 January 2008 @ 8:44 BDT

Hi Ryan, I still don’t follow you. There’s no mention of either: “Hi” or: “User” anywhere in the comments code, which I’m looking at right now.

Incidentally, if there’s any issue with the code, then it’s a WordPress thing — I’ve never touched the comments script.

Help me out here, fella…

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 25 January 2008 @ 14:21 BDT

By way of an update, I’ve finally got Socialize Me! into the official WordPress Plugin Releases

Tadd → Friday, 25 January 2008 @ 14:24 BDT

This is brilliant! I’ll be making this a ‘required plugin’ for all my future installations!

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 25 January 2008 @ 23:22 BDT

Thanks, Tadd! Much appreciated…

Udi Tirosh → Saturday, 26 January 2008 @ 16:22 BDT

This plugin rocks!!!!
any chances of making something similar for Drupal?
I made the platform choice way way back….
- udi

Ernie Oporto → Sunday, 27 January 2008 @ 3:32 BDT

Can’t tell if this works…

Aaron Peters → Sunday, 27 January 2008 @ 14:23 BDT

Hi Wayne,

we will definitely give it a go on our blog.
I just gave it a thumbs up on DIGG.

Aaron

Goran → Sunday, 27 January 2008 @ 20:05 BDT

Great plugin! I currently use addthis plugin on several sites. Will surely try yours

Marcis Gasuns → Saturday, 2 February 2008 @ 15:38 BDT

You can see my blog to see how it looks, a demo.

TN → Sunday, 10 February 2008 @ 3:53 BDT

I recently upgraded my WordPress two 2.3.3 and I came to know about this Plugin, nothing happened, followed exact process, did everything correctly but nothing happened. I don’t what is wrong? and Facebook discussion? I’m not a member of Facebook. Hope you’ll give some idea on it.

Wayne Smallman → Monday, 11 February 2008 @ 11:41 BDT

Hi! Did you go to a StumbleUpon or Digg article for one of your articles?

That’s the top oversight people make when using the Socialize Me! Plugin — you have to come from somewhere else to see it working…

TN → Friday, 15 February 2008 @ 22:11 BDT

I usually happen to visit DIGG and Stumbleupon a lot, I just checked and it’s not working again.

I’ve tried putting the code in widget and by default it can execute PHP commands(PHP-EXEC plugin). I tried also on header.php. Seems like something is wrong with mine.

This is the first WordPress plugin I’m having problem with?

TN → Friday, 15 February 2008 @ 22:54 BDT

I don’t have single.php in my theme folder and when i tried to apply the code to my main index php, it nearly screwed my blog :)

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 15 February 2008 @ 23:04 BDT

Hi, I’ve sent you an email.

So let’s discuss this somewhere else, yes?

Speak soon…

Daily Common Sense → Saturday, 16 February 2008 @ 17:00 BDT

Very sweet plugin thanks!

Johnnybones23 → Thursday, 28 February 2008 @ 22:15 BDT

This plugin is a great idea. Best i’ve heard in a while. unfortunately i cant tell if this is working in my blog. Would anyone mind dropping a quick comment or what have you on my site or my social sites? Thanks in advance!

~Johnnybones23
p.s. i’m Johnnybones23 on most social bookmarking sites :D

Wayne Smallman → Thursday, 28 February 2008 @ 23:14 BDT

Hi Johnny, glad you like the Plugin!

You only see the Plugin working when you visit an article on your ‘blog from where it’s been submitted; such as Digg, StumbleUpon et cetera.

There’s a discussion on my Facebook Page with some advice you might find useful…

Johnnybones → Friday, 29 February 2008 @ 2:07 BDT

Thanks a bunch for the guidance Wayne! This is a total web 2.0 gadget that will get utilized in many different ways and is certain to take on new forms in the years to come. Your idea encapsulates a very powerful meme. Good work, i’ll be sure to check back for the newest stuff!
Cheers!
~Johnnybones

Compaholic → Sunday, 6 April 2008 @ 9:15 BDT

Nice plugin! Definitely going to try this out.

DJ Francisco Houston → Friday, 18 April 2008 @ 16:00 BDT

Great Plugin, I love it.

I’ve installed it so far in one website, My Bloggin For Wedding Vendors Website and I think it’s great, not too intrusive and the default css works great with my blog!!

Duplicate File Finder → Monday, 21 April 2008 @ 14:27 BDT

Nice plugin! Definitely going to try this out.

Megapixels → Friday, 2 May 2008 @ 19:13 BDT

I tried going to the Socialize Me! review page on StumbleUpon like you suggested, and then following the link back to this page, but I don’t see any message welcoming me back. Where’s the message supposed to show up? Have the bugs been sorted out? I do get traffic to my blog from Stumble, so this would be a good Plugin for me.

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 2 May 2008 @ 21:48 BDT

Hi guys and thanks for using my Plugin!

Hi Christopher, I’ve been working on some updates to the Plugin (trying to make it multi-author aware), which seem to have disabled it under certain circumstances.

I’ve removed the offending code and it’s now working.

As for the bugs, there are none with the current version available for download.

Speak soon…

Bollywood News → Saturday, 31 May 2008 @ 11:52 BDT

The plugin is really classic! Ur work is really good.. I liked it a lot Keep it up and come with more good things like this :) Good Luck!

Leandro Feijó → Friday, 4 July 2008 @ 17:21 BDT

My name is Leandro and I’m one of the representants of SEO Master portal here in Brazil.

Based on the topic of this post, I want to show you the new service that we are offering now: it’s called SoBoo.

SoBoo is a Social Bookmark button that allow the visitors to share your site/blog’s content on the Internet.

We hava WordPress and Blogger plugins, lots of designs and show the click and bookmark statistics to the webmasters or administrators.

To see more about, visit our website.

Thanks,
Leandro Feijó.

Matthew Byrne → Thursday, 31 July 2008 @ 12:53 BDT

Love the plugin – Great work!

I’m using a very simple theme on my blog, so I don’t have a ‘singlePost.php’ file.

With a simple conditional I it now works on any page of my blog (including the homepage):

if (function_exists('oil_sm_Display')) {
if(!$firstpass){
echo oil_sm_Display();
$firstpass=true;
}
}

Thanks again,

Matt

Wayne Smallman → Friday, 1 August 2008 @ 16:15 BDT

Matthew, thanks for sharing.

I’ve been trying to develop a multi-author version of Socialize Me! but the function support in WordPress is actually quite poor.

Maybe in the future…

Tammy Collins → Tuesday, 23 September 2008 @ 4:30 BDT

This is a fantastic plugin. I have used Socialize Me on SO many of my internet projects.

cool gadgets → Thursday, 9 October 2008 @ 5:35 BDT

I had a chance to try your working demonstration, this looks like a handy plugin that I’ll try on a couple of my sites…Mike

Zulu Digital → Friday, 24 October 2008 @ 9:16 BDT

Great plug in, nice one!

Dan_N → Monday, 3 November 2008 @ 5:28 BDT

I would like to try this plugin out, I don’t see it on your blog unless I am missing something.

ankara nakliyat → Monday, 3 November 2008 @ 16:34 BDT

I’ve been seeing that same…

Wayne Smallman → Monday, 3 November 2008 @ 21:08 BDT

Dan, Ankara you have to follow the instructions fully, including the example I’ve provided.

Trust me, the Plugin works fine. There’s something like a thousand blogs out there using Socialize Me! just fine…

Windows → Wednesday, 10 December 2008 @ 11:10 BDT

Thanks for the plugin. Will use it on my site.

Colleen → Friday, 12 December 2008 @ 20:17 BDT

I tried putting it in the sidebar and nothing happens. Yes I followed the directions. Also when I configured my account names on those social services it says it saves but then they don’t appear when I return to that configuration page. I just upgraded to wp2.7 yesterday could that be the problem.

Jens → Tuesday, 13 January 2009 @ 21:49 BDT

Great plugin. Thank you for sharing.

rap → Wednesday, 14 January 2009 @ 22:34 BDT

This is a fantastic plugin.
Thank you for sharing.

Abhishek Daaga → Thursday, 15 January 2009 @ 18:25 BDT

Really an Awesome work done for this plugin.. I am really happy to use this & also recommend it to all.

Shawn Drewry → Wednesday, 21 January 2009 @ 7:12 BDT

Oh how this Wp plug in sounds like a hidden gold mine is in it. I am going to download and then upload and presto like George Jetson…lol

John → Thursday, 29 January 2009 @ 13:13 BDT

Looks great. Now all I need is a WP blog… :)

Zath → Tuesday, 17 March 2009 @ 22:34 BDT

I think I need to do more around social media traffic and this kind of functionality is exactly what I’ve been meaning to do for a long time, thanks Wayne, I’ll give it a go and see how I get on!

Cheers!

Allan Cass → Saturday, 18 April 2009 @ 12:59 BDT

Very handy and flexible plug-in that I already run on my blog with some slight modifications. I have some ideas and may contribute some php code in the future. (unfortunately our time is never enough) :(

Cheers.
Keep the good work.

Sean → Friday, 5 June 2009 @ 23:45 BDT

I am going to give it a try at my blog. Looks really great!

Duplicate File Finder → Wednesday, 10 June 2009 @ 16:52 BDT

Ollie → Wednesday, 1 July 2009 @ 15:28 BDT

Hey Wayne,

Great plugin, I will try it later

Original Developer → Monday, 6 July 2009 @ 1:47 BDT

Thank you, thank you, thank you I can’t say enough good things about Socialize Me! This is my third install. Thanks.

Lorraine → Monday, 20 July 2009 @ 16:46 BDT

Great plug in. I love it and makes life a little easier. Nice piece of work…

Technology News → Tuesday, 28 July 2009 @ 16:40 BDT

This plugin rocks!!!!
any chances of making something similar for Drupal?
I made the platform choice way way back….

Wayne Smallman → Wednesday, 5 August 2009 @ 8:45 BDT

I don’t know anything about Drupal, unfortunately.

Custom Software → Tuesday, 11 August 2009 @ 9:53 BDT

Wayne, The plugin’s are great. Cheers

Bijeeta → Saturday, 31 October 2009 @ 7:16 BDT

Will it work for WordPress Mu?

Naveed → Tuesday, 19 January 2010 @ 14:57 BDT

Thank you for such a nicely designed social networks plugin. I am using it on my all new blogs. Great work indeed.

Wayne Smallman → Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 23:51 BDT

Hi Bijeeta, unfortunately not.

Because of the way WordPress handles user profiles, there’s no way for my Plugin to resolve each user individually.

I did look into this, but WordPress doesn’t support that kind of thing.

Bruce → Monday, 1 March 2010 @ 17:20 BDT

This works great in tandem with a twitter feed. Traffic is up. Thanks for the post.

Grout → Friday, 9 April 2010 @ 7:11 BDT

I use Socialize Me and it works pretty well. Just wanted to extend my thanks. I have had issues before where I thought it was conflicting with another plugin, but the other developer has always resolved it, so I guess it was there work, not yours.. either that or they realize that you plugin is so popular that they’d better just make theirs compatible with your :) Either way, it’s always worked out in my favor.. thanks.

Core Bloggers → Saturday, 8 May 2010 @ 15:15 BDT

very useful plugin, works great and very easy to install.

Tuning Truck → Tuesday, 11 May 2010 @ 12:16 BDT

Will it work for WordPress Mu?

Science news → Tuesday, 11 May 2010 @ 12:17 BDT

Wayne Smallman → Tuesday, 11 May 2010 @ 13:00 BDT

Will it work for WordPress Mu?

Sadly no. WordPress (and by extension, WordPress Mu) doesn’t have a particularly smart way of managing user details, so there’s no sensible way to tell one author from another.

I’m hoping this will change in WordPress 3, which is due out soon.

good point press → Tuesday, 25 May 2010 @ 6:58 BDT

Socialize Me is such a cool plugin. To reach Social Media & Networking visitors is so easy with this plugin. Very Innovative Work.

Windows 7 tricks → Tuesday, 1 June 2010 @ 16:09 BDT

Really Love the plugin …thanks! I am really happy to use this & also recommend it to everybody!

Technology Jakk → Thursday, 5 August 2010 @ 9:21 BDT

I love this plugin and have found so many benifits to it. I find networing has become far easier!

Murilo – SEO → Thursday, 5 August 2010 @ 21:32 BDT

Here use a custom query using wp_query (), it works normal in my case?

Thanks

Cable → Tuesday, 1 February 2011 @ 23:30 BDT

Hi Wayne,
We’re in the process of updating our blogs and will give your plugin a go.

Thanks

[...] Socialize Me – With the Socialize Me! Plugin for WordPress you can connect with people on services like: StumbleUpon, Facebook, Digg, Delicious, Pownce, Twitter, Bebo, MySpace and many, many more. When visitors arrive from these social networking sites they will be greeted with a simple message when they arrive “Hi, thanks for the visit! Wayne’s on StumbleUpon, too!” with a link to your profile. [...]